Friday, May 19, 2006

Dog, Accused

There is a Mockingbird who sits on the telephone wire over my car, guarding. He does not react to two-legged organisms, but the four-legged variety must beware! Four-leggers are, after all, a wiley class of animal. They sneak. They climb. They steal the unhatched!

I live with a Great Dane. He has four legs, but he doesn't sneak or climb. I saw him steal a muffin from the kitchen counter once...

Regardless, the Mockingbird still sees him as a threat. I was walking the Big Dog on a leash yesterday when a gray demon fell from the sky with a flutter of flailing wings targeting the Dane's back end. I dove to the right, not afraid of pointy beak nor lizardlike claws, but rather the payload that may be unleashed. The attack was over almost before it started and the demon returned to his perch. The Big Dog, oblivious to the bird, slowly turned to face me with a sour look on his face. He said, "Now, what are you doing?"

"Nothing" I said as I straightened my hair and brushed dirt off my pants. "Nothing at all."

No comments: